Grad School Abroad in England

The United Kingdom is made of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. England is situated in the north west of Europe and is part of the island better known as Great Britain. England is the largest country in the UK and a majority of people (around 85%) of the UK lives in England, mainly in the major cities of London, Manchester, Liverpool etc and other metropolitan areas.

The 60 million or so people come from various parts of the world, partly due to the country’s colonial heritage. The ethnic groups that are the Anglo-Saxons, Scots, Welsh, and Irish make up the majority of the population but migrants from the sub-continent (India, Pakistan), as well as many from the Caribbean have made England home and as a result has made this country one of the most diverse in the world. So what you experience is a real melting pot of cultures, which would no doubt be a rewarding living experience.

First class universities

Universities in the UK (England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland) are known to be first class and especially for their teaching at the postgraduate (graduate) level and the research that is carried out at these institutions. Nearly 70,000 international students chose the UK as their grad school abroad destination last year. All this makes the UK one of the best graduate school destinations in the world.

Overall the UK is the second largest receiver of international students from all over the world and the largest for graduate school students from the USA.

A European Lifestyle

Studying in the UK, you will benefit from a European lifestyle as well as have the opportunity to pick from an extensive array of courses and programs. The degree programs are also generally shorter than they are in the US and also in some cases less expensive than the US. Most importantly, a majority of institutions do not require the various admissions tests (GMAT, GRE etc) that are a requirement for many US grad schools.

A different Education system

The learning (and teaching style) is also very different to that of the US. The onus is put on the individual student much more to do independent study and research, and much less in class tuition. The assessment is also in the form of continues assessment where you will be expected to turn in papers regularly and sit for both mid term and final exams. There are usually lectures and tutorials (short discussion groups) and laboratory sessions for those undertaking subject areas linked to the sciences.

There are around 90 universities in England, so it pays to do your home-work before you decide on your options. Wherever you decide to study, each institution will most certainly give you a high quality of education, but each of them would also have their own specialty, or a subject area that they excel at. So do you research to find out which university offers the exact match for your particular grad school subject area. This is the best way to find the best grad school option for you.

Scholarships for study in the UK

A new development from the British Council means that it is now possible to search for a scholarship online. You can now find any scholarships that are appropriate to your country of origin, level of study, subject, and institutions where you are interested in studying. To try the search, visit: The scholarships page

The main scholarships for master's courses are as follows:

- British Chevening Scholarships. - Commonwealth Scholarships and Fellowship Plan (CSFP). - Department for International Development (DfID) Shared Scholarship Scheme. - Overseas Research Students Awards Scheme (ORSAS).

Recent Graduates

If you are a very recent graduate of a US university, you may be eligible to apply for a Marshall Scholarship, which covers the tuition and living expenses for at least two years at a UK university. This scholarship is specially for US students and each year around 45 students are awarded this each year. You will find further information via the following link:

Marshall Scholarships)

The Scholarship is a two or three year (in some cases) grant to study at one of the universities in the UK and the grant covers the following: Tuition fees Living allowance Round trip airline ticket to the UK Support of a dependent spouse Annual book grant Annual thesis grant Research and daily travel grant

Research Programs

If you are intending undertake a research graduate program, many of the UK’s research programs offer scholarships. Contact British Council USA for further details. Further information about research, programs, funding can be found at the following link:

Professional Degree programs

If you are undertaking a professional graduate degree program, then note that you may need to get accreditation from the professional bodies in the USA once you return back home. It is best to contact the accreditation (regulating) body for your specific area in the US (or the state) prior to commencing your studies in the UK.

International Graduate Scheme

The UK government has introduced a new program where as from the start of May 2007, students who have completed a full degree program in the UK, for work purposes for 12 months. This would be immensely beneficial for those of you who are intending continue onto an internship or even live in the UK to further experience the UK lifestyle.

Further information can be found via the following link: schemes_and_programmes/internationalgraduatesscheme.html

For further information, please contact British Council USA via the following link;

or via our grad schools abroad search engine. * photos courtesy of Tourism New Zealand

Now take the next step... Excited about grad school in England? Take the the next step and start your journey. Send a request to all English Universities in our database in one go. And await further info on scholarships, studentships, new program offerings etc etc.

Get in Touch/ Contact Us